5 tips to sleep better
With the nights drawing in, winter approaching it becomes harder to sleep at night. We miss the long days, the shining sun and the happiness of the summer. Well winter is not all that gloomy if we are able to sleep well. Below are five tips to have deep restorative sleep.
- Avoid stimulation before going to bed – stay away from stimulating drinks such a tea and coffee and overactive food such as carbohydrates and sugar a few hours before going to bed.
- Regular pranayama– breathing exercise helps to activate the parasympathetic nervous system so by practicing these it will help you relax and sleep better. Click here to here some breathing exercises.
- Nurture yourself – book yourself for a massage or reflexology. We are so busy with our lives that we do not have time to slow down and attend to our needs. So by nurturing yourself through the power of touch will help you relax. You can attend a yoga class. Being in the present moment and not worrying about the past and future through stretching is an excellent manner to relax.
- Gratitude – it is easy to forget what we have because we are so focused on what we do not have. So by practicing gratitude will help to induce a positive state of mind which will help you relax. Click here to listen to a gratitude webinar.
- Create a bed time routine – we humans are creatures of habit, so an hour or so before sleeping, create a routine. Have a bath or wash your feet in warm water before going to bed. Use a diffuser or an oil burner with a relaxing essential oil such as lavender. Listen to some relaxing music, dim the lights and create a soothing environment.